Mary A. Essuman is a seasoned attorney with nearly a decade of experience. Mary has a broad range of experience handling business matters, legal malpractice cases, and employment issues, including wage and hour, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, and class action employment matters.
Mary is skilled in balancing legal risks against business needs to reach practical solutions and has a track record of efficiently settling cases ranging from $300K to over $2.5M in value, making the impossible possible. Mary enjoys staying busy, and is an adaptable, hardworking problem solver, with the ability to produce results, even in challenging environments.
Prior to joining RosenSaba, LLP, in 2012, Mary formed her own consulting practice, providing business and legal consulting services to law firms, government organizations, and businesses of all sizes throughout Southern California.
- Successfully settled a wage and hour claim with an estimated value of $300k, for $22k (Winter, 2020).
- Obtained favorable verdict for client in legal malpractice trial, second chair (Fall, 2019).
- Successfully assisted with settlement of copyright infringement matter for $2.5M (Summer 2018).
- Successfully assisted with securing multimillion dollar settlement in business cyber-security breach suit, (Fall, 2018).
- Successfully negotiated real estate deal saving client $2.5M (Fall, 2017).
- Successfully negotiated business dispute and subsequent sale of business, transforming a perceived outcome from $0 to $250k for client (2015, 2016).
- Successfully raised $100k in equity funding for client (Summer, 2015).
- Successfully secured speaking engagement for client with Congressmember Karen Bass (Fall, 2016).
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Host & Moderator, “Boosting Diversity in the Law;” Hosted by She Is, Inc., with The Cochran Firm, Signature Resolution, Pepperdine’s Assistant Dean of Career Development, Fisher Phillips, the Black Women Lawyers Association, and the Los Angeles Dependency Lawyers. (May, 2020).
- Panelist, “How to Search for a Job In a Down Economy;” Pepperdine University (August, 2020).
- Publication, “The Lawyer Life, Creating Your Own Career.” LexInsight. (July 2018).
- Publication, “Millennial Girl,” Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles. (Summer 2016).
- Guest Lecturer, University of Southern California – Los Angeles; First Amendment Issues and Freedom of Speech. (Spring, 2014).
- Guest Lecturer, California State University, Northridge; The History of the First Amendment; The Seditions Acts, Part I and Part II. (Fall Semester, 2013)
- Speaker, “Entrepreneurship & The Law;” Palmer Center, Pepperdine University. (Spring, 2013).
- Speaker, “Evidence-Based Medicine in Trial,” Continuing Legal Education Seminar. (Fall, 2012).
- Publication, Amicus Brief, Defense of Marriage Act, Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law. (Spring 2012).
- Publication, DC Commission on Immigration Policy and Reform, with Judge Bruce Einhorn, ret’d (Spring 2011).
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Referral Services
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Ad Hoc Committees
- American Bar Association
- California Lawyers Association
- Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Women Lawyers of Los Angeles
- Dispute Resolution Journal, Pepperdine
- Books and More Education Foundation
- She Is, Inc.
Board and Committee Memberships
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, Board Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Ad Hoc Drafting Committee Member, Ethics Rules
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Ad Hoc Disciplinary Committee Member, Legal Malpractice
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Committee Member, Lawyer Referral Services
- All California State Courts
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Pepperdine University School of Law, May 2011 (Merit Based Scholarship Recipient) – Juris Doctorate
- Brigham Young University, August 2008 (Merit Based Scholarship Recipient); Honors Program Graduate; Honors Thesis Completed; Dissertation Defended and Thesis Published – Honors Bachelor of Arts