Todd M. Lander is a highly successful trial and appellate lawyer with widespread experience in complex business and intellectual property disputes. Todd represents both plaintiffs and defendants, and his practice has comprised an array of business and real estate disputes, shareholder and partnership litigation, environmental claims, and copyright and trademark infringement. Todd has specifically tried cases in both the state and federal courts, in California and around the country, and his appellate experience has likewise entailed numerous appearances before the California and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal. Todd was previously the Chairman of the Litigation Department at Freeman, Freeman Smiley LLP, in Los Angeles.
- Successfully prosecuted complex trademark claim involving questions of first use and the trade show exception, resulting in substantial recovery for client.
- Successfully prosecuted complicated real estate and contractual claims on behalf of real estate developer concerning high value project in Northern California.
- Successfully defended copyright infringement action concerning unique issues of registration and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- Successfully defended principal owner and operator of a prominent Southern California entertainment business in a shareholder and contract dispute.
- Represented several prominent national retailers in copyright and design patent disputes.
- Represented numerous lenders in myriad disputes, implicating sophisticated financial disputes, including the successful defense and prosecution of matters to and through trial.
- Shepherded myriad matters through the California and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal, resulting in multiple published opinions.
- Every year since 2018 named as a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine
- New Matter (Winter 2013) Design Dilemma: Fashioning a Defense for Apparel Manufacturers in Copyright Litigation
- Los Angeles Lawyer November 2017 – Fair Value: The Potential Risks of Corporate Dissolution Through the Procedure Afforded by Corporations Code Section 2000
- University of British Columbia, B.A. 1990
- Whittier Law School, J.D. 1994, cum laude (Law Review, Honor Roll, Dean’s List, Dean’s Merit Award Scholarship, American Jurisprudence Award)